Monday, August 2, 2010

Hi Y'all!!

How's it going?

Sorry for the long silence. Jeff and I headed off on vacation. We drove from Dallas to New Orleans (1 night) then to St. Augustine, FL (3 nights) to Charleston, SC (3 nights) to somewhere in Alabama for a night, to home.

I have to admit, I really wasn't that impressed with New Orleans. (Or Louisiana. My stomach has been ok so far, but those roads made me nauseous.) Maybe it's cause I wasn't drinking, or because it was soooo hot, but I really didn't like it that well. I was even disappointed in the cemetery I visited, and I love old cemeteries. Oh well.

On the drive to Florida, Jeff and I stopped to see the battleship Alabama. It was cool. (Or hot! depending on how you look at it.)

I liked St. Augustine. The first day Jeff and I took a trolley ride around town and learned all kids of interesting stuff about the town, then bobbed in the ocean for a couple hours. We spent most of the second day waiting on Jeff's friend D who was flying in from Chicago to join us. We did get to bob around in the ocean some more though! Our third day we toured the fort built by the Spanish in the 1600's, the Flagler College (Tiffany windows!) and the Lightner museum. Those were seriously cool. Then we headed up to Charleston, with a detour for dinner in Savannah. I was so excited to find Juliette Lowe's birthplace. If you know who that is off the top of your head, you're as dorky as I am!

The first thing we did when we hit Charleston was to visit Fort Sumter. It was cool, but it paled in comparison to the Spanish fort. Then we met up with a couple of Jeff's old friends who took us out to dinner and then drinking. (Well, they drank. I sipped my water and found money on the ground.) The next day, Jeff and I farted around Market St. and downtown Charleston while we waited on hungover D to get out of bed. The last day there, I drug the guys to a cemetery downtown (oldest headstones I'd ever seen. 2 signers of the Declaration of Independence. So cool!) and a tour of the Old Provost Dungeon. Then we headed home, dropping D off in Atlanta for his flight.

Overall, it was a good trip. D was really high maintenance and whined about everything we did. In fact, I didn't get to do some of the stuff I wanted to do in Charleston because of him. Maybe some other time.

We came home to some lonely dogs and some angry neighbors. Our dog sitter I guess really isn't a dog person, so I think they sat outside and barked most of the time we were gone.

My first OB appointment is tomorrow, so I'll be giving you all an update on the baby as soon as I can!

Oh, and I think I could write an entire post dedicated to the amazing food we ate on this trip. Probably will.


  1. Sounds like you did a lot in a short amount of time...I wish I had your energy:) All in all sounds like you had a wonderful trip

  2. welcome sounds like you had a fantastic vacation!!!!
    can't wait to hear about the OB appt!!!!!!