Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Infertility

Infertile: a couple who has had unprotected intercourse for at least one year without conceiving.

This is the definition, as stated in the handout we received at DH's doctor appt. this morning. Official results?

Varicoceles, a cyst, and probably NOA. In layman's terms, despite the varicoceles, Dr. B. says he thinks it is not a blockage problem, but hormonal or genetic. He put DH on some hormone pills, sent him off to do bloodwork for both hormones and genetics, and told us to come back in a month, with a sperm-in-a-cup for testing. Thanks doc. That's JUST what I wanted to do right before Christmas. Everyone loves bad news for the holidays.

Please excuse my sarcasm and my lack of optimism. But it's hard to be optimistic when even the doctor thinks it's grim.

Dr. B. also talked to us about AI with donor sperm and adoption. He very bluntly (and harshly, I think) told us that since DH is over 40, we will be at the back of the domestic adoption line. I don't want to believe this and need to do more research, but I really stink at finding things. If anyone has suggestions of where to look for useful adoption information, I would appreciate it.

Again, I think it will take a while before the seriousness of this begins to sink in. Right now, my concern is all for DH, who is not taking it well. He keeps apologizing. He believes that somehow it's his fault. It's not. I know it isn't. I guess right now, the problem is convincing him.

1 comment:

  1. So sorry the appointment didn't go well. Infertility is awful.

    I've been googling adoption to get more information and it can be frustrating trying to find the information you need.

    This is so hard on the hubbies. We just have to keep letting them know that we love them and are thankful for them.

    Thanks for the comment. It's really nice to know of others going through the same thing.

    ReplyDelete