Saturday, November 21, 2009

Tell me it gets easier.

Today has been rough. It started this morning with an old friend I haven't seen in a couple years. He asked how the new house was, and I told him that we love it, but that it's much bigger than the old one, and we're still adjusting to all the space. He said,"Well, it's room to grow."

.....................

Yes, friend. I realize it's room to grow. That's why be bought the house. Because it has plenty of room for kids, a nice yard, and a good neighborhood. That's why we bought a 4-door sedan. Because we can fit a carseat in the backseat. And now?

I have this urge to buy a zippy little sportscar with no backseat, and to sell the house and by a condo downtown in a building that has no kids.

Fuck.

I went to a wedding this evening. Thought I'd be fine. It's a wedding, right? I can do weddings. I sat with my co-workers, all of whom left their kids at home. But it seemed like no matter what the conversation, it turned back to their kids, and how wonderful they are, despite the shananegians they pull. I left before the wedding cake was cut.

I realize your children are wonderful. I'm sure I would be the same way. But is that really the only thing we can talk about? What about the weather? Texas Tech? New Moon? ANYTHING.

No comments:

Post a Comment